Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Daddy's dream...

Before we found out if we were having a girl or a boy, I often found myself thinking about the future.  Like a lot of expecting fathers, I had a hard time picturing a baby, I could only envision a walking talking kid who wiped their own butt.  So when it came to thinking about a boy or a girl, I found it easier to picture a boy.  I saw myself out on the soccer field coaching his team, cleaning him off with a hose after a good mud romp, and a list of other things I remember from my childhood.  When it came to a girl... blank.  Now it wasn't because I didn't want a girl, it was more that I just honestly couldn't picture how it was going to go.  I mean, I can't brush long hair or put on nail polish.  I just couldn't picture bonding with her like I could a boy.  Then we found out we were having Jaycee and all the sudden I had to start figuring it out.  We were going to be together everyday, so I had better get this straight.
As my blog details, all has gone swimmingly.  In fact, now I can picture how its going to be when I have a walking talking kid who wipes HER own butt.  I have to be honest, that picture isn't much different than the picture I had of a boy.  I can see myself out on the soccer field coaching her team, but instead of blue or yellow jerseys, I see pink.  I think we all spend a lot of time talking about men and women being equal and how a girl can do the same things as a boy and it wasn't until Jaycee's arrival that I really understood how important that lesson is.  I couldn't dream of denying my daughter a chance to bond with her daddy simply because she was a girl.  Whether its soccer or anything else, I have every intention of taking my opportunities to be wherever she wants to be.  Whether she follows my dream of being a professional soccer player or her mommy's path to teaching or any dream for that matter, she'll know that when she looks behind her daddy will be right there.
By the way, to all of the parents with boys playing soccer with Jaycee in a few years: Look out, because girls kick butt...

No comments: