Saturday, January 21, 2012

A little boy...

I am not sure why it took me so long to finally put pen to paper on our newest edition (not so new, he's 3 months old). I feel like I was waiting to see what profound thoughts would hit me or what amazing lines I could write. Then I realized that there isn't any need for that. Not that Joushua Gunnar isn't a wonderful baby. He is worthy of the most profound of profound statements. But I think what I have noticed is that I love this little guy just like I love his big sisters.
I'm sure as he gets older and his sister get older, I will realize there are some differences on my role in their lives and I'll gain a better understanding of those differences as time goes on. When we found out we were having Jaycee, I hit the books hard. I wanted to know what I was supposed to do to turn this little girl into an independent and confident woman someday. After all the research I determined the best thing I could do was be there for her and show the example of the person she might one day want in her life. Then we found out Jayden was on her way and the same rules applied.
When we found out Joshua was on his way, I instantly began piling on the expectations of him. Poor little guy wasn't even here yet and he had a to-do list! After much thought I figured out those expectations weren't on him, they were on me. Its my job to show him what a man is. This spiraled into a whole philosophical internal discussion of how to measure a man and what makes a good man.
I had a soccer coach once that had a motto. When I was feeling a little fancy or added an extra juke when it wasn't necessary, he'd kick a ball at me and make me do four up downs while I spelled the word "K-I-S-S" out loud. Keep It Simple Stupid. I have the same role for him as I do for his sisters. Be the person I want him to be in his life.
I have three reasons in my life to become a better man now. When things get confusing K-I-S-S...

No comments: