Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Artist...

One of the fun side effects of Jaycee going to preschool is the heaps of crafts and art she creates. I am always amazed how much her teachers do for their projects. I can imagine how hard it would be to try to keep 15 four year olds from tarring and feathering themselves and each other when they have art time. Also, their ideas are very creative and make me realize that anything can turn into an art supply if you look at it correctly.
Jaycee enjoys art so much that she draws during free play activities too. At the end of the day when parents are picking up their little ones, there is a file box with a folder for each kid. In it the teachers put the art they can take home or various nick knacks they collect in the folders. When Jaycee first started, they would put her free play drawings in there. She usually did 2 a day and they consisted of random lines and colors that she was interested in. Inevitably when you asked her what the picture was, she would say "a rainbow". As time went by, her drawings got a little more complex and she began to draw faces.
Then, one day, the pictures stopped; there weren't any pictures in her folder. After about three days, I asked Jaycee if she still liked to draw. She said yes and that she drew a picture of Jayden that day. The next time I came to pick Jaycee up, her teacher stopped me on the way out and walked me over to Jaycee's cubby. The cubby is used to store extra sets of clothes or extra items brought in. Well, Jaycee's cubby was doubling as additionally drawing storage. Needless to stay, I had quite a stack to tote home and she clearly had increased production from the basic 2 a day to more like 5 a day.
Part of our daily post preschool wrap up is examining Jaycee's artwork and gaining insight into her inspiration. She likes to draw pictures of her family and we all have very specific characteristics. Brother is very small, Jayden has short hair, Jaycee is always in the middle of the page, mama is usually next to brother and has the longest hair. As for me, I generally look like a hispanic Shrek. I am the only one who is drawn exclusively with brown crayon while everyone else is a pink shade and I have a very large and round face. The funniest part about Jaycee's art is that she always remembers to "sign" it. Her signature is a squiggly line usually toward the bottom of the page. That's when it occurs to me that she is a real artist. She never lets her work go uncredited...

No comments: