Saturday, July 18, 2009

Everyone loves little girls, especially their Daddys...

So, how lucky am I to soon be the proud Daddy of yet another little pink bundle! Before Jaycee arrived, I went through the whole boy/girl debate in my head and when she got here, it all seemed so silly to try and categorize life with a boy versus a girl and vice versa.
When we were thinking about expanding our family, I knew early on that I wanted another little lady. It isn't like I don't want a boy, its more like I had a vision of my life and it just felt like at least two girls would fit perfectly.
Then on the realistic side of life, I am pretty happy that we get to recycle a bunch of baby girl clothes, toys, bedding, and every other gender specific thing we have from Jaycee's early days. Then there is the fact that Jaycee and her sister will be close in age, so I have a good hope that they will get along famously and be great friends throughout life.
I guess for me, the most important part of building my family is creating a solid foundation and safety net that will always be here, even if I'm not. Boy or girl, growing our family is a cornerstone of any strong family. When I think of some of the amazing families around me, I find the common thread of togetherness as an immediate family. That isn't to say that extended family isn't important, because it is. I like to think of it as torch passing. The core of a family lies in its immediate family and when immediate becomes extended, the core moves as well.
I suppose I am stating the obvious, but sometimes I need to do that. Its like taking a step back to look at a gigantic canvas that is your life's work in progress. I have never been an artist, but when it comes to my family, call me Van Gogh...

No comments: